Here in this blog post, I’ll be listing some of the best alternatives to OptinMonster.
Let’s dive in.
The table below shows 13 best OptinMonster alternatives:
💌See the integrations
|$99 yearly or $399-lifetime updates||Explore|
|Thrive Leads ⚡️ – Akshay’s Pick!|
💌See the integrations
|$67 one-time, lifetime updates||Explore|
|Ninja Popups||$25 one-time, lifetime updates||Explore|
|Icegram||Free/Pro at $9 monthly||Explore|
|Bloom||Elegant Themes Club||Explore|
|Sumo List Builder||Free/Pro at $9/year||Explore|
|GetSiteControl||Free/Pro at $19/year||Explore|
|WP Subscribe Pro||$39/year||Explore|
|Popup Maker (Bonus)||Free with pro addons||Explore|
The OptinMonster plugin has been the best list-building plugin for WordPress for a long time. It’s been loved by most of the WordPress folks for some of the great features it offers.
However, things have changed recently!
With the fierce competition in the WordPress industry, other plugin developers have also managed to compete with OptinMonster.
Top OptinMonster alternatives that don’t suck!
You need to also remember that choosing a right plugin for list building matters a lot of in speeding up the list building process and getting the ROI.
Today, OptinMonster is not the best plugin for money. There are other WordPress plugins that offer great value than OptinMonster.
Above is the table of some of the good alternatives to OptinMonster when it comes to list building and getting leads via WordPress plugins with less hassle.
Here are some of the aspects on which I listed the OptinMonster alternatives in this post:
- Price (I favor one-time fee for the plugin)
- Plugins with features that help you build the list fast.
Here are the best OptinMonster alternatives for the list building reviewed.
Convert Pro – Better than OptinMonster
Convert Pro is the second-best plugin on our list.
This plugin is from the developers of the Astra theme, the Brainstorm Force.
The features offered by Convert Pro are comparable to that of Thrive Leads. Especially because of the fact that Convert Pro also has a very robust drag and drop popup builder functionality.
Here are some of the features offered by this plugin.
- Drag and Drop Editor
- Multi-step Call-to-Actions
- Ready-to-use Templates
- Google Analytics Integration
- 30+ Mailer Integrations
- Exit Intent Popups
- On-Click Popups
- Info-bar / Slide-in
- After Post / Inline CTA’s
- Yes / No Forms
- Full Screen CTA’s
- Convert Mat
- Page Level Targeting
- Split / AB Testing
- Referrer Detection
- Device Detection
- AdBlock Detection
Some of the most unique features offered by Convert Pro when compared to Thrive Leads are Referrer Detection, and Adblock detection.
But it doesn’t have some features like Asset Delivery and integrated analytics (in Convert Pro you need to connect to Google Analytics). You can check out my ConvertPro review to know more about this.
It is a fact that 26 percent of desktop users and 15 percent of mobile consumers use ad blockers. You may lose upon that audience if they also block popups.
The plugin is designed by keeping page builders like Elementor, Beaver Builder, Divi, and others.
The UI/UX is very well-refined and popup building is a breeze. In fact, I would say it is the most refined OptinMonster alternatives here.
- You get raw flexibility in design, and all forms are optimized for speed and designed for high performance.
- It has exceptional targeting features, including geo-targeting and page-level targeting.
- You can create personalized messages for use in advanced targeting.
- It doesn’t support lightbox animations.
- The price is on the higher side for an individual site owner.
Bottomline: ConvertPro is a powerhouse for any WordPress site. If you want robust page targeting features, responsive drag-&-drop visual editor, multiple opt-in form options, and integrations, go for ConvertPro.
ConvertBox is one of the easiest to use and most versatile email opt-in plugins for WordPress. It offers drag and drop form builder, which makes building visually appealing opt-ins easy.
This tool not only lets you build custom multi-step funnels but also allows you to customize form fields in order to collect all the information needed from visitors.
The best thing is, with its multi-step funnels, ConvertBox guides your prospects down the path of conversion by segmenting them based on their interests so they can receive highly personalized offers.
The features are pretty similar to OptinMonster, not so comprehensive though like it. But for the price, it’s indeed something you need to consider.
ConvertBox has 8 pop-up options:
- Slide-in notifications
- Centre modal with the full-screen takeover
- Sticky bar
- Full page takeover
- Embed in your content
- Embed in your sidebar
It lacks a lightbox pop-up, content locker, coupon wheel options, unlike Optinmonster.
With ConvertBox, you can create surveys, quizzes, and messages to know your visitor’s interests. Then with its behavior-based targeting or using its intelligent targeting rules, you can send them emails or offer products based on the pages they visit, actions they take, etc.
Note that Optinmonster offers more targeting rules compared to ConvertBox.
Here are a handful of the ConvertBox’s intelligent targeting rules:
- Number of visits
- Seen page
- ESP Lists
- Referring site
- Inactive on page
- Device type
- URL parameters
- Email service provider Tags
- ConvertBox activity
- Exit intent
- WordPress category
- Time on page
- Percentage scrolled
The biggest downside with ConvertBox is its limited styling and customization options. If you want to custom code your pages or the opt-ins, ConvertBox will disappoint you.
It doesn’t even provide basic CSS options. But Optinmonster excels with its customization options, you can use custom fonts, add extra fields to your forms, style the specific elements of the campaigns, etc.
ConvertBox directly integrates with major autoresponders, page builders, cart platforms and is constantly adding new integrations. But compared to Elementor or Thrive Leads, it offers fewer integrations as of now.
Here is a quick breakdown of the direct integrations.
- Demio (webinar platform)
- Mail Chimp
ConvertBox also supports Zapier integration and webhooks.
As of now, ConvertBox doesn’t have any free plan, unlike Icegram or Elementor.
ConvertBox is currently running a lifetime deal at $495, for early buyers. It is worth the investment if you consider it.
With this price, you will get
- 250,000 views/month
- No monthly/yearly fees
- No branding
If you want 500,000 views/month, 50 sites usage, logins for 5 sub-users and need ConvertBox for clients you can pay an additional cost of $95 and grab the lifetime deal at $590 with its PRO account.
- Super-advanced display and intelligent targeting rules are available to turn visitors into customers.
- They are running a lifetime deal
- It provides the ability to create multi-choice and multi-step funnels
- Has deep integrations with email marketing softwares, landing page builders, CRMs, etc.
- Quizzes, surveys are available to get customers feedback
- You can use on multiple sites, even for client websites
- A/B split testing of forms available, unlike Elementor.
- Very limited styling and custom CSS options
- Analytics is not advanced and in-depth unlike Optinmonster
Bottomline: ConvertBox excels with its intelligent targeting rules and deep integrations with popular ESPs. Also, its multiple site usage is best for agencies that handle clients’ websites. Its marketing features are very advanced to increase your sales. If customization and styling are less important for you, ConvertBox is your best choice.
It is one of the most common WordPress page builders available today, with over 3 Million active installations in more than 180 countries. And most people use the free WordPress.org version to create outstanding pages.
However, the premium version of Elementor is a dedicated Popup builder, making it an excellent OptinMonster alternative.
With the core plugin being a robust visual builder, Elementor gives you exceptional flexibility when designing. It’s even more flexible than OptinMonster and all the other tools on this list.
You can create any type of popup, from the hello-bar to slide-ins, fly-ins, full-screen, classics, bottom-bars, among others. As a result, you get to have so many options to boost your conversion rate.
It comes with more than 100 pre-built pop-up templates that you can easily customize using the drag and drop visual builder.
All the Elementor widgets are available for use in your popups. You don’t have to know how to code to add any WordPress content to your popups. As a result, it’s easier to create interactive popups that nudge your audience to respond to your CTA.
Plus, I like that you only need to invest in it once, and you are good to go. A one-time payment of $49 sorts your site for life.
- Easy to use yet flexible drag and drop visual builder giving you a hassle-free editing experience.
- It comes with advanced and highly targeting capabilities. You get to create detailed conditions and triggers displaying popups to the audience that meets your criteria.
- Powerful Elementor widgets that take your popups a notch higher.
- No A/B testing feature.
- It lacks in-built analytics to show you the performance of your lead generation campaign.
Bottomline: Anyone looking for a design-oriented popup builder with great flexibility should opt for Elementor Pro. However, if you need in-built analytics or A/B testing features, it’s not your tool.
Thrive Leads – B
etter than OptinMonster
Thrive Leads is the plugin, I’m using on my blog to build email lists faster than ever.
I’m totally in love with this plugin and reviewed the plugin in detail in one of my previous posts. – Thrive Leads review. I’ve used this plugin inside out!
Let us look at how this plugin compares with the OptinMonster plugin.
Thrive Leads has all the features that OptinMonster has except for some features like cross-platform compatibility, referral source optin forms, and popup scheduling.
Similar to that of OptinMonster, you can place the optin form inside your WordPress content, footer, as a ribbon, screen filler (favorite), scroll mat, widget, popup lightbox, and also content upgrades.
That’s not it!
The Thrive Leads also supports the content locking feature, which enables you to lock the content and reveal the content only when the user successfully subscribes to your email list.
You can A/B test the opt-in mechanisms against each other and thus speed up your list-building process.
The Thrive Leads comes with tons of templates for you to choose from. Whether it be a lightbox, scroll mat, screen filler, and many others. All the types of opt-ins have dozens of templates that are completely customizable via WYSIWYG or drag and drop editor.
Note that you can’t buy the Thrive Leads plugin individually. You need to buy the entire Thrive Suite to get access to this plugin. Thrive Suite pricing starts at $19/mo.
Areas where Thrive Leads excel over OptinMonster
Well, let’s keep it simple.
- In case of Thrive Leads, you can hide the subscription popup to the visitors who already have subscribed to your newsletter. This is the feature that only Thrive Leads has managed to offer.
- In case of OptinMonster, there are only limited elements in the drag and drop builder. Whereas, in the case of Thrive Leads there is a plethora of elements that enable you to design the lead generation form as you wish.
- Thrive Leads comes with Signup Segue option, which enables the existing subscribers to register for a course or a webinar on one click, thus skyrocketing the conversion rate.
- Robust A/B testing feature to ensure you run effective campaigns.
- You can create more than ten types of opt-in forms for lead generation, whether it’s multi-choice forms, two-step forms, lightbox, scroll mat, etc.
- You get to use surgical precision when targeting your forms, thanks to the advanced targeting features. You can target posts, tags, pages, URLs, etc.
- Some form template designs are outdated. But they have quite a good number of modern ones.
- You can’t buy the individual plugin.
Ninja Popups – Best plugin for the price (comparable to OptinMonster)
Ninja Popups is the plugin I recommend to bloggers who are quite stringent when it comes to their budget.
You’ll be surprised to see the features that this plugin comes with when compared to the price of $25 you spend to purchase it. Once you purchase the plugin, you’ll get unlimited future updates and also 6 months of support.
The plugin comes with a drag and drop builder that lets you build popups very easily on the fly.
If you do not wish to design the popups on your own, there are 60 popup themes that you can choose from. I’m sure that they’ll satisfy even the most complex needs.
There are 74 animation effects that you can apply to the popups. I was surprised to see this value given in the plugin priced at $25 for a lifetime. You can apply different animations to each and every element of your popup.
Along with these features, the plugin also comes with a content-optin locker, social locker, statistics, etc.
The popup can be triggered to appear when visitors are about to exit, scroll a page to a certain percentage, after a certain time, etc.
Recently, the developers have also added the Traffic Bouncer feature, which acts similar to the 2-step opt-in forms in the Thrive Leads. This feature enables the visitor to answer yes or no questions and then the plugin offers them to sign up for an email list.
You can also conduct A/B testing on the popups and determine which popups work better over another. This is great considering the price at which you’ll be getting your hands on the plugin.
The integrations with various email software APIs are great.
- They have a broad array of customization and styling options for your popups.
- It comes with in-built A/B testing, popup scheduling, and statistics features.
- It has multiple trigger options, including exit-intent.
- It allows popup scheduling.
- You can set the opacity percentage improving the readability of your popups.
- The UX isn’t user-friendly.
- You don’t get in-depth targeting options as you get with OptinMonster, Convert Pro, or Thrive Leads.
Bottomline: If styling is vital to you, then choose Ninja Pop-ups. While OptinMonster has minimal styling options, you’ll get so many options to work with on Ninja Popups.
Icegram – Free and premium
This is one of the best popup plugins you can use on your site and is constantly being developed.
The different types of opt-in forms that you can use with this plugin are popups, header, and footer pop. The most unique feature is the Toast notifications that are great to be used for notifications and messages.
The slide in messengers also helps you to welcome new visitors to your site or recommend new content when they complete reading the present blog post.
There is a wide range of free themes you can choose and edit to make your popups stand out and convert better.
The analytics of the pop-ups can be easily tracked and analyzed using a free add-on.
The premium version comes with A/B testing to test which variations of the messages in the popups convert better. This is something great. It also adds additional features like additional templates, exit-intent popups, etc.
The plus plan comes to you only at $9/month. The pro plan comes at a price of $97 a year.
Icegram falls short to OptinMonster. The OptinMonster comes with a wide array of features but comes at a monthly premium price.
- It comes with a forever-free version.
- You can create highly-responsive forms.
- The straightforward interface makes template customization easy.
- In-built A/B testing, geo-targeting, and page-targeting features.
- Lack of powerful design flexibility and customization options. You can’t create your custom designs using the drag and drop editor like other tools on the list.
Bottomline: If you need a plugin that combines popups with messaging and action-based notifications, give Icegram a shot. You don’t get that with OptinMonster. And let’s not forget the freemium option.
The #1 thing that makes Optimonk stand out from the rest of these plugins is that it’s a platform-independent tool. Very similar to OptinMonster in this regard. It is integrated with WordPress, but it’s not a dedicated WordPress Plugin. It will work on Drupal, Magento, Shopify, Prestashop, and so many more.
However, unlike OptinMonster, Optimonk is specially designed for eCommerce stores. It helps eCommerce owners increase conversions using action-based pop-up bars backed with powerful targeting features.
And I can’t fail to mention their custom variable option that allows you to create specific audience segments.
Their targeting is so effective that the popups your visitors see are based on their online behavior on your site. For example, you can have pop-ups based on cart abandonment, returning visitors, engagement level, geographical location, etc. This way, you can send highly targeted messages to the right audience at the right time.
They have ready-made popup design templates that are easily customizable using the drag-and-drop editor.
And you also have the option to design your popup using HTML. You can run almost any kind of lead gen campaign needed to make your online store successful, from questionnaire popups to subscription forms, traffic redirection forms, social popups, cart abandonment, etc.
And guess what?
You can also create gamified popups like spin the wheel and scratch cards. Cool, right?
- They have a wide range (200+) of in-built templates.
- They offer multiple popup styles. From fullscreen to nanobars, sidebars, spin the wheel, etc.
- You get in-build analytics and A/B testing features.
- They have powerful and flexible targeting rules and triggers.
- It’s eCommerce focused, so it’s not an excellent OptinMonster alternative if you’re not running an eCommerce.
Bottomline: Anyone running an eCommerce store should consider Optimonk as their lead generation and engagement boosting tool. It stands out for audience segmentation based on online behavior and personalization, increasing the conversion rate.
Hustle is one of the most affordable OptinMonster alternatives. It comes with a free version, but even the paid options won’t make a dent in your pocket.
It is a dedicated WordPress plugin for building your email list and increasing site traffic conversions. They refer to themselves as the ‘ultimate marketing plugin,’ and I have to admit they’re not blowing their whistle.
They have numerous in-built templates for almost any type of marketing promotion you want to do. From sales to discounts, giveaways, BlackFriday deals, you can create targeted popups, widgets, slide-ins, and opt-in forms for them.
With the price tag, you don’t expect them to have intelligent targeting options. I was surprised by their action-based triggers.
You can segment visitors according to their browser or device, countries, visited pages/posts, cookies, etc.
Also, they allow you to create smart triggers for your popups and forms. You can have exit-intent forms, time-based or scroll-based popups, among others.
And you can even use Hustle to increase your social media following. You can include your social media pages on your popups for your visitors to follow you.
- It has outstanding customization and styling features that ensure brand consistency. It offers you advanced styling options ensuring your website, opt-in forms, and popups match.
- It allows behavior and conditional settings to ensure you run highly targeted lead gen campaigns.
- They have 2000+ native integration options, including email marketing providers and form builders.
- It allows you to schedule campaigns beforehand to ensure you have everything needed on time.
- In-built campaign analytics tools to measure performance and show the results of your marketing efforts.
- It lacks A/B testing capabilities.
Bottomline: If you’re on a budget and you need an OptinMonster alternative for your WordPress site, try Hustle. Also, if you need to track your conversion on your WordPress dashboard, use Hustle.
Bloom is one of the best plugins from Elegant Themes. This plugin deserves the position next to Thrive Leads in our post. However, you need to be an Elegant Themes member to use the plugin.
The Elegant Themes membership costs you $89/year or $249 for lifetime access to all their themes and plugins. This is a big downside.
With Bloom, you can trigger popups that appear once the visitor reaches a certain section of the page, comment, make a purchase, or after a time delay.
The inline optin forms are also included, where you can place the Bloom optin form, wherever you wish in your blog through the use of a shortcode.
Similar to that the content locking feature of Thrive, you can enable the content to be unlocked only when a user subscribes to your email list. This is a great feature.
The plugin comes with 100+templates to choose from. The popups can be further customized with drag and drop builder as per your wish.
The borders and the edges can also be altered according to your needs like torn edges which you may have seen around the web.
The plugin integrates with dozens of popular email marketing software. However, it is worthwhile to take a second look at it.
- Highly-responsive popups with multiple styling options available, including borders and edges.
- You have inbuilt A/B testing and tracking options to increase your conversion rate.
- It allows target-based popup creation ensuring you reach the right audience.
- They offer 24/7 premium support.
- Their design customization is lacking. You don’t get a robust drag and drop visual builder.
- It lacks the smart exit intent trigger option.
Bottomline: Anyone who values in-depth tracking and reporting of their popups should go for Bloom. You get to see your campaign’s progress as it continues so that you can make any necessary changes to increase performance. You don’t get this option with OptinMonster.
Sumo List Builder – Free and Pro
SumoMe is basically a WordPress app suite that you may be already using on your site. It comes with various apps like list building plugins, social sharing apps, and many others. I’ve reviewed it earlier on my site.
It was the plugin that I was initially used on my site to get my first 500 subscribers before getting Thrive Leads.
I recommend you using this free plugin if your traffic is below 250 views daily. The free version of the plugin is more than enough for you. It comes built-in with features like scroll mat, ribbon, exit-intent popups, and much more.
You can trigger the optin boxes based on exit intent, smart, scroll percentage, and time delay.
The premium version of the plugin comes at the price of $348 /yr. It comes with additional features like animations, templates, mobile-only optin boxes, lightboxes, and others. It also comes with A/B testing, Analytics, and much more.
Compared to other plugins like Thrive Leads and OptinMonster, this list-building plugin lacks some features.
You can also target specific optin boxes to people coming from specific traffic sources. This is the feature that you can see only in OptinMonster.
The $328/ year plan also includes premium access to all their other plugins like Share, Heatmaps, Contact Form, Google Analytics, and much more.
- A very friendly user interface that provides a setup wizard.
- The drag-and-drop editor is powerful, giving you great flexibility in design.
- A robust yet easy to use A/B testing feature
- They have multiple form types from popups, scroll boxes, welcome mat, click trigger popups, among others.
- The free plan is available for only 200 subscribers, so you outgrow it very fast. And the paid versions are on the pricey side compared to tools like Thrive Leads and Convert Pro.
Bottomline: Sumo provides everything you need to create high-converting opt-in forms. If you have a healthy budget, it’s a tool that packs a punch regardless of your business model.
GetSiteControl – Free and Premium
GetSiteControl is a multipurpose WordPress plugin for optimizing website conversion rates, and the email list builder is not the only tool it brings. There is also a contact form, a survey form, a live chat, notification bars, pop-ups, and social media Follow and Share buttons.
You can place the opt-in form in one of the 9 positions available, customize its appearance and animation.
There is a wide choice of targeting settings – for example, you can show the pop-up to the visitors based on their location, IP, UTM tags, referral source, device, OS, etc.
You can also set up precise user behavior triggering the form to appear: time spent on the page, content depth, or exit intent. All the user interactions with the form are visible in real-time statistics.
The free version of GetSiteControl allows up to 50K widget views per month, which should be quite sufficient for most small or medium size websites. The premium version is available for $19/mo given you’re using it on 1 website only.
The difference between the free and premium versions is advanced settings: form customization, targeting features, and 3rd party app integration. Among the paid features there is also such handy ones as Autoresponder and A/B testing.
- They have a massive library of opt-in form templates.
- The dashboard is very user-friendly.
- Allows you to run A/B testing on opt-in forms, increasing your conversion rate.
- It has an inbuilt statistics feature to see the performance of your opt-in forms.
- It has an intuitive builder but offers limited customization options for popups and widgets.
Bottomline: If you’re looking for a cloud-based solution with subscription, contact, survey forms, live chat, pop-ups, and social share/ follow buttons under one roof, try GetSiteControl.
Although this plugin is not better than OptinMonster, it’s a good affordable alternative to OptinMonster.
WP Subscribe Pro is priced at $39. In order to receive lifetime updates and support, you need to renew the license every year.
Even though you can use the plugin after a year, you won’t be able to receive the updates. Once you purchase the plugin, you’re free to use the plugin on your unlimited domains.
However, if you are looking for advanced features in your list-building plugin, WP Subscribe Pro may not be for you. It lacks some of the features like scroll mat, screen filler, content upgrades, AB testing, and much more.
Exit intent popup enables you to display the optin popup to your visitors the moment they are about to leave the page. This is made possible by tracking the user’s mouse movements. This feature also comes with Thrive Leads and OptinMonster obviously.
The WP Subscribe Pro plugin integrates with 7 of the major email marketing software. Whereas, Thrive Leads integrates with dozens of email marketing software, ranging from Mautic to GetResponse.
WP Subscribe Pro is basically a lightweight plugin and is small in size than other plugins. Whereas, the plugins like Thrive leads andOptinMoster are a bit large with more advanced features.
There are various triggers you can choose to display the popups, like – exit intent and delay. The popup animations are also there to increase the conversion rate by demanding user attention.
The plugin is flexible, you can add any custom HTML code or use any shortcodes inside the pop-up box.
- It provides a simple and easy-to-use interface.
- It allows you to create trigger options, including exit intent.
- It offers cookie control options that dictate how often visitors will see the popups.
- No analytics or A/B testing features
- You have limited design flexibility options for your opt-in and pop-up forms.
- They have limited targeting options.
Bottomline: If you thrive in simplicity, WP Subscribe Pro is for you. It has a very simple and straightforward interface allowing you to create your forms seamlessly.
Popup Maker – Free
This is the best popup, modal, or overlay plugin for WordPress. The plugin is entirely free without any restrictions except for some add-ons.
The different types of lead generation mechanisms include Slide Outs, Banner Bars, Floating Stickies, Notifications, Loading Screens, Video Lightboxes, and Opt-In Forms.
The special popup editor will be available for you to design and create popups of any type you can imagine.
The ‘conditions’ feature allows to precisely target the popups to the visitors of specific pages and posts. You can also set how frequently the popup should show up as the plugin comes with cookie tracking.
However, the features like exit intent, advanced conditions, analytics and much more come as separate add-ons to the plugin that you need to purchase.
With this plugin, if you are a coder, the limits are endless.
- In-depth targeting options available for all types of WordPress content.
- It allows you to include any content in your popups.
- If you’re running an eCommerce, you can WooCommerce popups for your products to increase conversion rate.
- It gives you access to detailed popup analytics.
- Their basic plan is branded with their logo; if you don’t want that, you’ve got to upgrade.
Bottomline: If you have an eCommerce store, it is a hidden gem for you to leverage. If you value popup sizing or have the freedom to choose your popups size, then Pop-up Maker is an excellent OptinMonster alternative. You don’t get that option with OptinMonster.
As you can clearly see, Thrive Leads is the best list-building plugin as of now. In the next position, I would pick Ninja Forms that come with great features compared to the price of the plugin.
I personally think that OptinMonster’s monthly price is not worth it. Because there are better plugins in terms of features and price like Thrive Leads.
Hope you loved this post on OptinMonster alternatives helpful. Please do share the post and comment your views.