In this post, let me present you some of the Teachable alternative online learning platforms, for hosting your online courses.
When you think of the self-hosted online courses, Teachable is the first platform that comes to your mind.
Although it’s a great platform with great course compliance and marketing features, there are some downsides.
Here are some downsides of Teachable:
- Transaction fee of 5% even in their basic plan
- Lack of course compliance, affiliate marketing, and certification in the basic plan
- Teachable branding in login and sales page URLs
If these are some of the downsides that are forcing you to look for a Teachable alternative, this post will be helpful for you.
Here are some of the factors on which we selected the alternatives to Teachable:
- The best alternatives should not have the downsides of Teachable
- They should be affordable or have similar pricing to that of Teachable
- They should come with the more/same amount of features like that of Teachable
For each alternative, we’ve also presented you with the aspects in which the alternatives are better than or lag behind Teachable so that you can make a well-informed decision.
Podia is more suitable for you, if you are interested in the all-in-one platform on the likes of Kajabi, without a premium fee.
It comes with the ability for you to sell:
- Online courses
- Digital downloads
You can refer to my complete review on Podia if you want more information.
In this section, you’re gonna get some highlights and more importantly comparison with Teachable as a platform.
Where Podia excels over Teachable?
- Podia has a dedicated Digital Product selling platform that allows you to sell your informational products
- Podia has a more superior email marketing platform allowing you to send broadcast emails as well as drip campaigns
- Podia does not charge you any transaction fee on the course sales you make
- Podia’s embedded checkout options are super-flexible to use with your website
- Podia offers good white-label features compared to Teachable
- Podia costs a lot less compared to Teachable
But, as Podia is an all-in-one platform, it doesn’t come with features like certificates, superior course compliance, and also free plan.
It also has limited design flexibility, unlike the power editor that Teachable comes with.
Similar to Teachable it comes with drip functionality, bundles, upselling, quizzes, Zapier integration, and much more.
It is a lot cheaper than Teachable.
If you are in a dilemma to choose between Podia and Teachable, read my complete review to make a better buying decision.
Thinkific is another great alternative to Teachable for those who are interested only in a course platform but not an all-in-one platform.
I can treat this a much closer alternative to Teachable, although it costs quite a lot.
Similar to that of Teachable, you can create your online courses and also create membership sites with Thinkific.
Where Thinkific excels over Teachable?
- Thinkific has a better free plan with no transaction fee
- It has superior design and customization options than Teachable, as it offers presets and themes
- It has a good site builder that allows you to build great design without touching a line of code.
- It has an inbuilt survey mechanism, whereas, in Teachable, you may need to use other tools and embed them
- Thinkific offers you true Whitelabel platform, unlike Teachable which still has branding in login and sales page URLs.
- Thinkific has narrated presentation or voiceover presentations feature
Nevertheless, Thinkific lacks a lot of functionalities like native certification feature, less course compliance features, and lack of one-step checkout (a lot of friction).
Added to these, the pricing of Thinkific is $39/month, which is costlier than Teachable $29/month. But Thinkific doesn’t charge you a 5% transaction fee.
If you think Thinkific is not affordable for you then you can consider looking at some of these Thinkific alternatives.
LearnDash is quite different as it is a WordPress-based solution. If you are already fairly knowledgeable with WordPress, you need to strongly consider LearnDash.
But the main downside of WordPress LMS plugins is that along with the plugins, you may need to also host your videos or use platforms like Vimeo or Wistia for video protection.
Where LearnDash excels?
- The cost is really less compared to other platforms with a one-time fee + yearly update fee.
- Can be quite flexible as it’s a WordPress plugin, you can get your development team really get the most out of the plugin
I really liked the way in which they offer extra features as addons, thus making the core plugin very lightweight.
As it’s a WordPress plugin, you have ultimate design flexibility, CSS, and also marketing flexibility.
Unlike other WordPress-based platforms, it also has native payment integrations, so you need not worry about using other plugins for it.
It also helps you protect your content without the need for any other membership plugins.
Single site license of LearnDash costs you $159 for one year of updates and support.
Kajabi is yet another all-in-one online learning platforms. It comes with features like:
- Online courses
- Digital products
- Email marketing
- Marketing automation
It is marketed as a complete online marketing platform as opposed to the course platform. But still, it has some great features to consider as a good course platform.
It has been endorsed and used by big names in the expert industry like Brendon Burchard and Any Porterfield. It is a premium platform, with a much higher price tag.
If you are looking for an all-in-one platform and Podia is lacking in some features, then Kajabi is the way to go.
Where Kajabi excels over Teachable?
- Kajabi has marketing automation features that Teachable lacks in
- It has superior email marketing features like triggered and drip emails
- It has digital product selling capabilities and allows you to sell information products as well along with courses
However, it has some limitations like you can create upto 3 products even in their basic plan which costs $119/month and 15 products in their growth plan which costs $159/month.
With Kajabi you sometimes may feel that you are shelling some money for the brand and the premium experience. It is certainly better than Podia if you don’t consider the price.
If you think not having the ability to sell digital products is a major downside of Teachable, you may consider getting Kajabi over Teachable or Podia.
Invanto is another great all-in-one platform like that of Podia. With Invanto, you get access to:
- MemberFactory: For creating membership sites
- Coachrack: For creating online courses
- CartFog: For selling digital products
- Tesnia: For conducting tests, quizzes, and more
- RewardBurst: For gamifying the learning process by offering badges and rewards
Where Invanto excels?
- Ability to sell digital products
- Gamification of learning using their RewardBurst app
It lacks several features like one-click upsells advanced student performance reports, course compliance, and other features that Teachable comes with.
It has limited integration with other apps and also integration with Zapier.
But the major downside is that they charge a fee for Zapier triggers, which they’ve not mentioned anywhere on the sales page.
They have a native video hosting feature, but you often end up Vimeo or Wistia due to performance.
They offer great features for the price. They have a unique pricing model wherein up to 100 users need to pay only $10/month for all their apps. And then they charge $99/month for 101 – 5000 users.
They don’t have an intermediate plan at say $49/month.
Although the beginner price seems cheap, you will end up paying a lot more once you hit the 100 users mark.
Teachery is another good course platform.
The main difference is that Teachery doesn't handle video hosting. You need to make use of services like YouTube, Vimeo or Wistia.
Where Teachery excels?
- No transaction fee
- They have 2 site themes compared to 1 theme offered by Teachable, it also offers live editor as opposed to power editor
It has quite serious limitations when compared to Teachable. It doesn't have features like superior course compliance, upsells, quizzes, certificates, discussions, native payment gateway, and much more.
Added to this, Teachery’s annual plan costs you $39/month, and it's the same as that of Thinkific and higher than that of Teachable.
The price is really high considering that they don’t support video hosting and you need to shell out money for hosting your videos as well.
ClickFunnels is a funnel and marketing automation building platform.
With ClickFunnels, you can also host your online courses and membership sites.
ClickFunnels focuses more on the marketing side, with features like funnel template, CRMs, and much more.
Where ClickFunnels excels?
- It comes with entire funnel builders
- It comes with superior marketing features like upsells, downsells, etc
- It comes with full-fledged landing page builders
- It comes with inbuilt autoresponders
- Has tons of integrations compared to Teachable
Similar to Teachable it comes with options for you to sell your online courses and memberships. You can also drip feed your membership lessons.
It lacks some of the features like certificates, course compliance, tracking user progress, and plenty of other features.
It is also not suitable for offering multiple courses, as it is not an eLearning platform.
ClickFunnels is right for you only if you don’t have a marketing funnel in place, and are ready to sacrifice some of the course-specific features that platforms like Teachable, Thinkific, and Podia offer.
ClickFunnels also costs a lot as it comes with lots of features in marketing and funnel building.
To be honest, Teachable is the best online course creation platform with features like one-click upsell, one-step checkout and other marketing features. It also has the best-in-class course compliance and certification mechanism.
Hope you found this post helpful if you have doubts leave me a comment.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost incurred to you :-)