Today in this post we are going to review SendOwl alternatives.
SendOwl is an online marketing platform to sell digital products, subscriptions, and memberships.
It has many downsides like:
- Limited customization options
- Very few checkout templates
- No A/B testing for conversion rate optimization
- No ability to filter searches for transactions.
If you want more customization options to design your store and checkouts, and need advanced features like integrations, you need to look at other alternatives to SendOwl.
We have researched and narrowed down the list to the top 7.
Let’s discover the alternatives.
ThriveCart – Most advanced alternative
ThriveCart is one of the best shopping cart platforms available today at a one-time fee at $495.
You can sell both digital and physical products with various subscription plans.
When it comes to cart types; it has standard, sales cart, embeddable, popup, 1-step, and 2-step cart checkout templates and you can customize them to match your brand.
To increase the sales, it offers 1-click upsells, bump offers, downsells, cart abandonment recovery, and much more. The best thing is you can set multiple payment types like free trials, tripwires, split payments, recurring sales, pay what you want, flexible subscriptions, etc.
ThriveCart integrates well with most of the popular shopping carts, funnel softwares, email marketing platforms, membership sites, etc.
It also has Zapier and webhooks integrations to connect with your favorite tool.
It integrates with Authorize.net, PayPal, Google Play, Apple Play, and Stripe payment processors.
Currently, ThriveCart is offering a lifetime deal at $495. If you need features like dunning management, automatic sales tax calculation, affiliate center, you need to upgrade to the pro plan at an additional cost of $195.
- Affiliate program: ThriveCart comes with a feature-rich affiliate program that allows you to set cookie attribution, cookie length, affiliate-specific commissions, and even exclusive affiliate-specific coupons.
- Growing popularity: ThriveCart’s popularity is steadily increasing due to its one-time fee and deep integrations with various email marketing software and Zapier.
- Flexible payment options: ThriveCart provides flexible payment options with integrations with Google Pay, Apple Pay, and other options like Pay as you want.
- Thrivecart Learn: Along with their lifetime deal, you also get access to ThriveCart Learn, a lightweight LMS platform where you can host your courses and send them as part of your subscriptions.
- Conversion-friendly checkout pages: ThriveCart has a growing library of conversion-friendly checkout pages and recently rolled out enhanced checkout editor functionality, allowing you to add various conversion-friendly elements and components.
- Split testing: ThriveCart offers a split-testing feature that allows you to test different products or various elements of the same product.
- Interface improvement: The interface of the platform could be enhanced for better usability. For example, editing the checkout page of a product requires navigating through multiple clicks, which can be time-consuming and cumbersome.
Bottom line: As per my opinion, Thrivecart is the best alternative to SendOwl. Not only does it come with all the features that SendOwl has, but it is also more affordable and has excellent specialist conversion-friendly features like upsells, downsells, order bumps, and even behavioral automation abilities. As a shopping cart solution, it also has deep integrations with almost all the popular platforms so that you can plug it on top of any other apps that you may be using throughout your entire sales funnel.
Lemon Squeezy – Best alternative to Gumroad
Lemon Squeezy has become increasingly popular, especially after Gumroad recently raising its transaction fee to 10%.
This change prompted many prominent creators, such as Thomas Frank, who earns over $100,000 per month, to switch from Gumroad to Lemon Squeezy due to his high sales volume.
One significant advantage of Lemon Squeezy that not many people are aware of is its tax compliance feature.
In addition to serving as a shopping cart platform, Lemon Squeezy also acts as a merchant of record.
This means it handles various financial aspects including sales taxes, EU VAT, and as well as maintaining financial records. This convenience sets it apart from other platforms like Gumroad.
Moreover, Lemon Squeezy offers a straightforward pricing structure. Regardless of your sales volume, you’ll be charged a fixed 5% transaction fee.
Additionally, it provides email marketing capabilities and offers free access for up to 500 members.
Bottom line: In summary, Lemon Squeezy offers a compelling alternative to other platforms with its competitive pricing, tax compliance features, and additional perks like email marketing. This makes it an appealing choice for creators looking for a reliable and cost-effective solution.
Payhip – Best value for money (with course feature)
Payhip is an online solution to sell digital downloads & memberships. You can sell ebooks, memberships, software, design assets, music, or any type of digital product with ease.
For digital downloads, you can limit the number of times to download and prevent the illegal sharing of files with PDF stamping.
Now about Courses!
More recently, they have introduced their course builder. This means that you have LMS functionalities inside of payhip.
Your course can contain various modules, and under each module, you can have lessons. Each lesson can contain various videos, text, quizzes, downloads, surveys, assignments, and even embeds.
You also have drip functionalities to help you choose exactly when your students should have access to the lesson content.
Apart from that you have lesson preview and course certification feature making it a good alternative to even established LMS platforms.
Its pricing starts from $0/mo. Its forever free plan supports unlimited products and unlimited revenue, but it charges a 5% transaction fee.
Its pro plan at $99/mo doesn’t charge any transaction fees.
Unlike other platforms, it doesn’t hold back any features in their free plan except for the 5% transaction fee.
As your sales volume increases, you can consider upgrading to a higher plan, thereby decreasing the transaction fee. That’s fair, if you ask me.
Sellfy – Best for storefronts
Sellfy is an easy yet powerful platform to sell digital, physical products and subscriptions. It’s main is providing you the ability to create highly converting storefronts with shopping cart functionality.
One standout feature of Sellfy is that it offers a print-on-demand service, allowing you to sell custom clothing, home decor, and more without needing additional external integrations.
Now let me explain about setting up a storefront.
If you don’t have your own website (to use as custom domain), you can set up a Sellfy storefront and start promoting the products.
It has a storefront editor to customize the store theme, store look, product pages, to match your brand.
If you have your own website already, you can embed the product widgets, buy now buttons, or the links on your site.
You also get more marketing features like discount codes, cart abandonment, upsells, and tracking pixels to retarget the customers to sell more.
Here’s the cool thing.
Selly also has a built-in email marketing feature to send the emails right from the platform.
Its pricing varies based on the number of email credits you need.
Selly is a freemium platform.
With its free plan, you can sell up to 10 products. If you want to sell unlimited products, you can purchase their starter plan at $19/mo.
However, the major downsides are if you want to get rid of their branding and want features like cart abandonment and upselling, you need to upgrade to their business plan at $49 per month.
Gumroad – 10% flat transaction fee
Gumroad is one of the easiest platforms to sell your products. It is best for creators, artists, and marketers to earn a living by selling the products they are creative about.
Even though Gumroad is popular for digital products, you can even sell physical products. It handles all the shipping, delivery, tax calculation, address verification, etc.
When it comes to digital products, Gumroad is popular for selling eBooks, software, photos, filters, audio & video files, software presets, sound design templates, recipes, plans, workbooks, etc.
Some noteworthy features of Gumroad are:
- Preorders (helpful for prelaunches)
- Embed checkout buttons
- Affiliate functionality with affiliate specific commission rates
- License keys feature for software sellers.
- Gumroad Discover feature for newbies to quickly get traction.
But here are some downsides of the platform:
- Disappointing transaction fee increase: Gumroad recently increased their transaction fee from 3-5% to a flat 10%, which has frustrated many users. This sudden change has led to popular Gumroad creators migrating to other platforms.
- Lack of advanced marketing options: Gumroad lacks advanced marketing features such as setting up funnels, upsells, downsells, and order bumps. These missing options limit the platform’s ability to optimize sales and conversions.
Bottom line: If you are looking for an easy-to-use platform where you can start selling without any upfront investment, and also want to gain extra search engine visibility through the Gumroad discover feature, Gumroad is the platform you should try out.
PayKickStart is primarily an affiliate management and subscription software designed for course creators, agencies, and SaaS owners.
This software allows you to track and manage your customers’ subscriptions. It also offers advanced marketing features such as one-click upsells, order bumps, coupons, and the ability to offer free or paid trials, making it ideal for SaaS owners.
One of the best features of PayKickStart is its library of over 50 customizable checkout templates.
These templates include built-in conversion elements like money-back guarantees, security badges, testimonials, and legal disclaimers. Additionally, PayKickStart integrates well with over 60 different email marketing software, CRMs, membership platforms, payment gateways, and more.
However, it’s important to note that PayKickStart primarily targets SaaS companies looking to streamline their revenue workflow.
As such, it may not be an affordable solution for everyone.
The lowest plan starts at $99 per month, but if you require additional features like your own affiliate center, dunning management, and API access, you’ll need to opt for the growth plan at $199 per month.
For access to serve unlimited users and advanced CRM integrations and customer insights, the scale plan at $299 per month is recommended.
Podia is an all-in-one digital storefront to sell courses, digital downloads, and communities. With Podia, you can create and sell standalone courses, drip courses, course bundles. You can even pre-sell and pre-launch the courses to validate your future course ideas.
Unlike other platforms, Podia also supports selling digital products, making it a good alternative to platforms like Gumroad and SendOwl.
When customers purchase a digital product, they can log in to their dashboard to access the available downloads.
Additionally, Podia offers various embed options for you to integrate the digital downloads on your website.
For example, you can copy the embed button and place it on your WordPress site, allowing people to check out the product with a single click.
Podia pricing starts at $39/mo. It doesn’t charge any transaction fees, and all its plans have unlimited everything i.e. unlimited products, unlimited messages, unlimited files, and unlimited customers.
Bottom line: Podia is an LMS that also comes with digital product selling and membership features. If you’re only looking to sell digital products, Podia may feel like overkill. However, if you’re planning to sell training courses, memberships, and build a community, Podia is the right choice. Instead of using separate platforms for your LMS and shopping cart needs, Podia has you covered.
SamCart is one of the leading eCommerce platforms best for selling courses, memberships, products, and services.
It has recently introduced a course builder for you to create, market, and sell your courses. You can add lessons like text, audio, images, videos, worksheets, digital downloads, and much more. But remember it doesn’t replace dedicated course creation platforms like Teachable or Thinkific.
Similar to ThriveCart, it provides conversion boosters like 1-click upsells, order bumps, multi-option checkout, abandoned cart recovery, and much more. It also has in-built split testing where you can test multiple variations of the checkout pages and get detailed reports on the testing results.
SamCart offers a good number of integrations with payment processors, membership site platforms, page builders, email marketing softwares, etc.
SamCart pricing starts at $79/mo.
If you need features like order bumps, post-purchase upsells, cart abandonment go with the grow plan at $159/mo.
It has a really poor value for money. In various areas it’s lagging behind the ThriveCart.
Selz is an e-commerce solution that provides businesses with a multichannel platform, allowing them to sell their products and services through the channel they prefer.
You can build your own store using Selz store editor or sell them on your existing social networks or websites. It has native integration with Google Shopping platform where you can feature your products to help customers to find them.
Even you can sell the products directly on Facebook with Selz. You can customize the Facebook shop pages, use the Facebook chat feature to assist customers till the end of the buying journey, use Facebook Pixels integration and run Ad campaigns to retarget the customers.
Also, if you are using either WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, or any other website user, you can integrate Slez easily and turn the website into an eCommerce store.
Noteworthy features of Selz:
- Built-in cart abandonment recovery feature
- Native integrations with PayPal or Stripe
- Supports 100+ different currencies including USD, EUR, GBP, AUD, CAD
- Supports custom fields for better personalization
Selz lowest pricing plan costs $26/mo, this plan lacks Stripe integration, custom fields, license keys, priority support. To avail these features you need to with the higher plan that costs $53/mo.
Here are my recommendations:
- ThriveCart would be a good option for you if you’re looking for more flexibility and advanced marketing features at a one-time fee of $495 It is the one that I use and recommend for maximum conversions.
- If you’re looking for a solid alternative to Sendowl/Gumroad, then Lemon Squeezy would be the best option for you because it comes with a low transaction fee of 5%, but it also acts as a merchant of record and handles all the taxes and GDPR-related hassles for you.
- Alternatively, you can also consider Payhip, which comes with a generous free plan and a transaction fee of 5%. It also offers paid plans to save you more money when you are spending more on your tuition fee.