Do you want to know a sneaky little trick to get your brand name suggested by Google?
Well, let me tell you about Search Box Optimization (SBO).
Search Box Optimization (SBO) is a technique used to make your brand or blog name appear in Google Autosuggest.
While some view it as a blackhat technique, it’s important to note that there are ethical ways to optimize for search box position. It’s up to you to decide whether or not to use SBO.
But keep in mind that using automated tools or outsourcing services to manipulate Google’s algorithm is not a legitimate practice and can result in penalties.
You see, about 75% of user search queries are influenced by Google Autosuggestions.
That’s why many internet marketers are using SBO to make users choose their brand over others.
If you’re one of those folks, you can get more clicks, and people are more likely to trust you because Google suggested your brand.
But here’s the thing, it’s not a legitimate practice, and you might get demoted in search engine rankings if you’re caught.
So, it’s up to you to decide whether to follow this strategy or not.
How it is done?
The main goal of SBO is to make your target term appear in Google Autosuggest. To achieve this, they use the following techniques:
- Using bots and proxies: Automated tools are used to search for your brand name in Google repeatedly. However, this technique is not natural and can get you caught by Google.
- Manual searches with proxies: The process of manually searching for your brand name using different proxies to appear natural to Google. However, this requires a lot of effort and is not scalable.
- Outsourcing services: Hiring people from services like Fiverr and Upwork to search for your brand name on Google using different proxies. However, this technique is unreliable and may lead to low-quality searches.
- Encouraging worldwide searches: Encouraging users worldwide to search for your brand name on Google. This technique is natural and effective but requires a lot of effort to execute.
- Keyword research: Conduct keyword research to find the most commonly searched keywords related to your brand or blog and use them in your website content. This can help to increase your chances of appearing in Google Autosuggest.
- Social media mentions: Encourage your followers and fans to mention your brand on social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram. This can help to increase the number of mentions of your brand, which in turn can increase your chances of appearing in Google Autosuggest.
- Influencer marketing: Collaborate with influencers in your niche to promote your brand. This can increase the visibility of your brand and lead to more searches for your brand name on Google.
It’s important to keep in mind that these techniques should be used ethically and naturally. Using automated tools or outsourcing services to manipulate Google’s algorithm is not a legitimate practice and can result in penalties.
People also use spam comments
People may also resort to spam comments to achieve their goal of SBO.
It’s actually working.
He is ranking for the term!
There are also several services for search box optimization.
You may want to take a look at Fiverr Gigs, or on any other micro job sites.
How does Google determine the search box position of a term?
Nowadays, the search box has become a mini-search engine results page, where you can get answers to several questions by making use of the autosuggest feature.
Have you ever noticed that there is a specific order in which Google suggests search terms?
This order is based on the following factors:
- High search volume
- High click-through rate
- More search diversity, i.e., searches from various countries and regions
- More mentions on the web
- More mentions in anchor texts
- Personal searches or search history
- Locality of the search user. Location-based personalization
It’s important to keep these factors in mind when optimizing for search box position.
Is search box optimization worth it?
As mentioned previously, around 75% of user search queries are impacted by Google autosuggest. This means that if a search marketer focuses on optimizing their brand for the search box, there is a greater chance of doubling traffic.
Consider how often you have utilized Google autosuggest. It’s likely been almost every time.
Therefore, search box optimization is certainly worthwhile.
How long does the term in Google autosuggest last?
The duration of a term appearing in Google autosuggest depends on the user’s interaction with Google after clicking on the auto-suggested term. If a user clicks on the auto-suggestion but does not interact with the search engine results pages (SERPs), then that particular term may be demoted in Google’s auto-suggest feature.
To maintain your position in Google suggestions, it’s essential to interact with the search engine results. If you optimize a keyword to appear in Google suggest, and a user clicks the suggested term and lands on your webpage, Google will track the user experience on your page.
If the user experience is bad, your webpage may be demoted in the SERPs. Thus, quality content is vital to maintain your position in the suggestions.
For example, if your brand is “XYZ,” and a user types “XY” in Google, using the suggestion “xyz” to land on your “XYZ Blog,” Google will track their interaction with your blog.
If the average page visit duration is high, and the user’s bounce rate is low, Google will conclude that search users benefit from the search suggestion “xyz.”
If that’s not the case, then your search suggestion may only last for two months.
In conclusion, search box optimization is not a legitimate practice, and it’s up to you to decide whether to follow this strategy or not.
While using bots or proxies may seem like a good idea, most of the time, these automated tools follow specific patterns while searching for your brand name in Google.
In this case, natural searching patterns or natural searches work better.
It’s worth noting that sudden spikes in the number of searches for your brand sound fishy.
If you are serious about your online career, you should not resort to black hat SEO practices. However, if you’re experimenting, that’s great, but tricking the search engine may demote your search engine rankings.
For example, if there are many searches for your brand, but no interaction on the SERPs, Google will easily detect this.
Remember, the search box has become a mini-search engine results page, and around 75% of user search queries are impacted by Google autosuggest. Therefore, search box optimization is certainly worthwhile, but you should maintain ethical practices while doing so.