According to Discord statistics, the company launched in 2015 as a way for online gamers to communicate while playing, and it quickly became popular among the gaming community.
Discord has gained many more fans since the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic, as influencers and non-gamers discovered the benefits of setting up a Discord server.
The software allows users to communicate via messages, voice calls, and video calls. It also offers streaming or watching videos as a group.
Discord is supported by cellphones, desktops, and web browsers.
Now let’s explore some of the key Discord statistics.
- Discord has 390 million subscribers with 150 million monthly active users.
- Discord’s net worth is valued at $15 billion.
- Discord has more than 19 million active servers every month.
- The country with the most Discord traffic is the United States (27.61%).
- Over 960 million messages are sent on Discord every day.
- Discord has raised more than $482 million in VC funding.
- 70% of Discord users claim that they use the app for gaming and other activities.
- In May 2020, Discord users accessed the app 707.9 million times.
- The most popular Discord server is Fortnite Official, with 827,000 subscribers.
- The majority of Discord’s revenue is generated by its premium bundle, Nitro.
1. Nitro is Discord’s primary source of revenue.
Discord does not generate income through advertisements like most social consumer apps.
The company launched Discord Nitro in January 2017, a premium service for $9.99 per month or $99.99 a year. Nitro offers users additional features such as high-resolution videos and animated emojis.
2. In 2020, Discord generated $130 million in revenue, which was a 188% increase year-on-year.
Discord’s revenue in 2018 was $30 million, which increased to $45 million in 2019.
According to estimates, Discord had a remarkable compound annual growth rate of 125.81% from 2016 to 2020.
Discord has been doubling its value since 2020 and still continues to grow at a steady rate.
3. Discord’s net worth is estimated at $15 billion.
During one of Discord’s 2020 funding rounds, the company was valued at $7.3 billion. However, as a result of its popularity since lockdown, Discord’s value has grown exponentially.
In August 2021, Bloomberg stated that Dragoneer Investment Group was expected to lead an investment that would increase Discord’s value to $15 billion.
After the rise in market value, in April 2021, Discord was listed as the 22nd most valuable unicorn company in the United States.
4. Discord is not targeted at people under 13.
Discord’s key target audience is adults and gamers, which puts the expected average age at around 30 to 33 years old.
Discord does not promote or offer services for individuals between 13 and 17.
According to user experiences, when Discord first launched, the average age was around 20 years old. However, in more recent years, the average age dropped to 16.
5. Discord has 350 million active monthly users.
Due to the pandemic, Discord had 250 million active users in 2019, which grew to 350 million in 2020.
Discord saw a 5 million daily active users drop from 2018 to 2019.
6. There are 390 million Discord users.
One year after the launch, Discord has $25 million in registered users. By December 2018, the company announced that it had reached 200 million registered users. This grew to 250 million in May 2019.
In June 2020, Discord had 300 million registered users and is currently sitting at 390 million.
7. The average US user spends approximately 280 minutes a month on Discord.
This is about nine minutes per day or five hours per month.
In October 2020, around 3% of teenagers claimed that Discord was their favorite app. It’s no surprise that social media mobile apps are the most popular app category.
8. Each user can have a maximum of 100 Discord servers.
Discord servers are channels that members use to chat via text, video, voice, or even share their screens.
To join a server, you will need an invite from a friend, or you can create your own.
9. Discord has over 19 million active weekly servers.
Discord’s idea of having a different server for each group has become increasingly popular, with 19 million active weekly servers.
The servers are more like online chat communities and offer advanced features like personalized emojis, real-time audio and video chats, and custom user roles.
10. Approximately 90% of Discord servers have fewer than 15 concurrent users.
Popular social media platforms have a broadcast platform where you can watch an event with thousands of other users. But Discord does not revolve around a news feed; it offers a more intimate and human user experience.
11. Mr. Beast Gaming’s server is the most popular server on Discord, with 781,780 users.
The biggest server on Discord is a high-profile YouTuber in the gaming community, followed by the Fornite Official server with 759,468 users.
12. A music bot was the first Discord bot to gain one million servers.
A Discord statistics bot, Rhythm, was launched in March 2018 to provide high-quality music streaming. The bot receives around 200 orders per second.
Rhythm allows users to listen to their SoundCloud, YouTube playlist, or Twitch and even provides song lyrics.
13. According to Discord statistics, the company turned down a $12 billion sale offer.
According to statistics, Discord recently rejected an offer to purchase it from Microsoft Corp. The company has also turned down offers from Epic Games Inc. and Amazon.com Inc.
14. Two hundred thousand people participated in the 4th Annual Discord Snowsgiving Celebration.
Every December, Discord celebrates “Snowsgiving,” where all users come together on a single server to participate in the holiday spirit.
The Snowsgiving server allows users to make friends, participate in contests and giveaways, and support charity organizations.
In December 2020, the Snowsgiving celebration raised more than $200,00 for Doctors Without Borders and featured a seven-day online music festival with celebrity artists.