Whether you are currently a student in a class or in life, writing is an essential skill in today’s day and age.
Having developed a good enough proficiency, you can effectively use it as your competitive advantage.
Notion can be a great tool of choice for writing as it supports many great features, such as Linking and Backlinking Notes, Markdown Shortcuts, and Databases.
Whether you are a freelance writer, a personal blogger, a screenwriter, or a fiction author, there’s a template for you!
1. Write OS
- Creator: Burk
- Our score: 9.5/10
- Price: $29
Formerly ‘Medium OS,’ the creator has added new features and upgraded this ‘Write OS’ for writers who write online and want to build an online writing portfolio. This is a fantastic tool for new writers and experienced Medium members, content creators, and social media professionals.
- Content OS: your main content database to create, store, organize, archive, and analyze your Medium stories, as well as all other content you want to keep in Write OS (like newsletter issues, social media posts, YouTube content, podcast scripts, etc.)
- Tag list: a tag database to keep everything organized, as well as all available Medium top writer tags with detailed information on competition and scale.
- Platforms: a database for all platforms you are already using or might be using in the future
- Subscribers: a subscriber database to store, backup, organize, and filter your existing and new subscribers from multiple platforms, either by hand or automatically
- Earnings report: a section to keep track of your income & expenses, monthly and in total
- Resources: a section with helpful tools and resources for writers
2. Notion for writing premium template pack
- Creator: Mel Lee-Smith
- Our score: 9.5/10
- Price: $35
If you’re into both fiction and non-fiction writing, this template is tailor-made for you. One of my favorite features of this template is that it includes a word counter. It helps you achieve your writing goals every day and see the progress to gain more insights.
Also, I love that the creator included templates based on the book “The Artist’s Way” by Julia Cameron. It’s such a neat tool to let your creative juices flow!
- Project tracking
- Word count tracker
- Writing goals & progress
- Chapter List
- Task tracker
- Writing affirmations
- Creativity exercises from Julia Cameron (artist dates, artist’s prayer, letter to the editor, creativity contract)
3. Notion AI blog OS
- Creator: Atul
- Our score: 9/10
- Price: $19.60 – $59.60
We all have writing blocks, don’t you agree? AI Blog OS helps you with idea generation, you can generate blog outline with the help of AI, and it also comes with SEO Optimization tips so you can be the best at what you do.
- Al blog idea generator: Use Notion AI to create quick ideas for your next post
- Ultimate blog manager: Collaborate better with a flexible blog manager
- AI blog writer: AI template to help generate blog structure, improve paragraphs, and more.
- Multiple platform support: Write on multiple platforms
- 60+ custom blog templates: Tried and tested blog templates to help you scale faster
- 30+ SEO optimization checklist: Proved ways to optimize and rank better on Google
- Posts analyzer
4. Writer’s hub: 25+ writing resources
- Creator: Sarvam Fating
- Our score: 8/10
- Price: FREE
If you’re spending 100’s of hours researching and starting your writing journey, then look no further than this FREE Notion template. It saves you tons of time by providing the writing resources you need to start your blog, YouTube, Newsletter, and more. It also has resources to start making money online from your writing.
- Writing resources: Blogs, YouTube, Courses & Newsletter
- Daily writing habit tracker: To Become a Writing Machine
- Goal tracker: To set Daily, Monthly, and Yearly Writing Goals
5. Writer’s toolbox
- Creator: Planoid
- Our score: 9/10
- Price: $10.99
This Notion Template is a fiction writer’s dream tool to have. Let your creative juices flow with prompts tailored for characters, settings, dialogues, plots, and genres. It also comes with 10+ templates for structuring your plots and characters.
- Diverse Prompts to Stoke Creativity
- Masterful Plot Crafting
- Character Deep Dive
- Conflict Crafting & Resolutions
- World Building
- Finding the Perfect Names
- Resources & Publishing Checklists
- Marketing Resources
6. Pitch like a pro: the ultimate notion system for freelance writers
- Creator: Type A Creative
- Our score: 8.5/10
- Price: $34
If you’re a freelance writer looking to turn your ideas into bylines on popular publications or magazines, this Notion template will help you achieve just that. Pitching to clients or publications takes patience and multiple follow-ups, plus the work comes with a lot of admin tasks. This is an all-in-one management system for all freelance writers who are looking to streamline their work.
- Pitching central dashboard:
- Capture, prioritize, and develop ideas in one place
- Automated follow-up reminders
- Quick-glance status for in-progress pitches + assignments
- Track goals and progress
- Connected databases:
- Easily identify the perfect publication AND the right editor for your pitch
- Linked Databases for easy viewing
- Reference your pitch history by Publication and Editor
- Workspace templates:
- Custom Idea, Publication, and Editor templates
- Consistent frameworks for any information you might need
7. Blogging manager
- Creator: Molly Jones
- Our score: 8/10
- Price: FREE
A simple but powerful notion template to manage all stages of your blog writing. I’ve been a fan of this template since I downloaded it nearly two years ago, and it still stands relevant! It also comes with a mini database of all the tools you need to start your blog writing journey.
- It comes with three stages of blog writing: type of post, execution, and collaboration.
- There is also a pre-built writing template that comes with five stages of the writing process: outline, draft, editing, SEO Checklist, and publication checklist.
- A calendar view to see all your blog posts at a glance
- Toolkit to keep your frequently used tools in one place.
- Top 100 headlines on Medium – Headlines matter! That’s the first thing readers come across, and it’s important to research and have knowledge of what makes your readers notice and click those titles. This notion template comes with the best publications to follow, the best content on those platforms, and 100+ titles for you to learn and craft your next best headline.
- Fictional history timeline – This free template is for all fiction writers and world builders. Download this notion template to keep track of different events, characters, and locations. It also has templates for each character you’re planning to introduce in your story.
- Notion for screenwriters – There are very few screenwriting notion templates out there, and I found this to be the best so far. It has an ideas dashboard to capture your ideas and process them, a global tag system to organize all your ideas and projects, a networking tool to keep all the important contacts in your industry, and more.
- Newsletter operating system (Notion dashboard) – A comprehensive dashboard for all newsletter writers. Start your newsletter from scratch and use the monetization tools to place sponsorship ads on your newsletter, grow revenue with different strategies, and track your expenses.
- Notion blog dashboard template bundle – An all-in-one dashboard for bloggers, marketers, and content creators. Favorite feature: You can see your Google Analytics, Search Console, and YouTube Studio data in real-time with three custom Google Data Studio reports.
- Notion AI for blogging – Use Notion’s built-in AI to quickly generate blog outlines, posts, and get them ready to publish. It is best to use this free template if you already have a comprehensive writing dashboard.
- AI poem generator – Are you falling short of words to capture your thoughts and turn them into a beautiful poem? Let AI help you generate your next best poem.
- Notion-Zine (ten magazine layout blogging templates) – Do you miss those beautiful magazines you used to flip through? This notion template has 10+ themes for you to choose from so you can instantly share your magazine-style blog post.
- Advanced novel writing template – If you’re planning to become a published author, this advanced novel writing template comes with a progress tracker, draft feedback, writing chapters, and marketing ideas for beginners.
- The writer’s dashboard on notion – Another free notion dashboard to help you write online. Define your north start, follow the writing workflow, and start publishing your blog posts!
- Storybook for Notion – Outlining tool for writers – Do you feel like you have a great story to tell? Storybook is a Notion template made by Writing Quest for outlining quickly without getting overwhelmed. This can be used for outlining a single story that spans one book or a complete series.
- Notion Template for Blog Writing – This template can be used to ideate and track blog posts. It has three separate sections, i.e., setup, production, and post-production, each with questions and checklists that help guide towards producing better and faster. This template also provides different views that can be further customized to suit the needs.