The most accurate metrics for the rankings of a site are MozRank and MozTrust. These two are the metrics provided by Moz.
Along with these metrics, Moz has popular authority metrics like domain and page authorities. That’s a different topic.
In this post, we are focusing only on the former ones.
In this guide, you'll learn
What do you learn from this post?
I am writing this post because, since the death of Google PageRank, webmasters’ attention is shifting towards these two metrics.
- What are MozRank and MozTrust?
- Difference between them (made easy)
- Relationship between them
- Some killer tips to boost both
- Tools to check both of them
These two metrics are the most accurate ones. They are updated every month. That means we can rely on these metrics.
Let’s dive in…
The bonus is that these two metrics improve your domain authority. Which in turn boosts organic traffic.
Knowing about these metrics is essential.
MozRank is the importance given to any page on the internet. It can differ from every individual page on your site.
Normally, the MozRank of the root domain is checked in practice.
Backlinks coming from sites that have high MozRank boosts your MozRank.
More quantity backlinks lead to increase in MozRank.
It is a similar metric as that of MozRank. The difference is that it looks at the link trust. It indirectly measures the reliability that the users can have on your content.
MozTrust increases with an increase in backlinks from sites that have huge trust. Edu or Gov backlinks boost MozTrust greatly.
If a site with great trust is linking to a site, which in turn is linking to your site, then expect a boost in Moztrust. The less the link distance between you and a trusted site, greater is the MozTrust. It’s simple as that.
Difference between the two metrics
As these metrics are meant for specific needs, they differ from each other greatly.
- MozRank looks at the number of backlinks. Whereas MozTrust looks at, how trustworthy a backlink is.
- MozRank is similar to Google PageRank. MozTrust is like Trust Flow.
- Increase in domain age increases MozTrust but not MozRank.
- MozRank looks at the quantity of backlinks, where MozTrust looks at the quality of the backlinks.
Relationship between them
A single quality backlink can increase your MozTrust by 0.4 to 0.8. Whereas you need 10-12 mere backlinks to increase your MozRank by 0.4 to 0.8.
Quality wins over quantity.
The MozTrust should be greater than that of MozRank. It’s a good sign.
For most of the spam sites, MozRank is greater than that of MozTrust. It means that the site has a low number of high-quality backlinks and high volume of crappy backlinks. This is how you find spam sites.
How to increase them?
While building backlinks, it’s important to concentrate on increasing MozTrust. Getting quality backlinks increases both MozRank and MozTrust.
- Focus on quality of backlinks.
- Get backlinks from edu and gov sites.
- Backlinks from root domains carry great value.
- Have a great interlinking strategy.
- Get links from the sites, which are linked by inherently trustworthy sites.
- Let your domain age.
- Maintain optimal anchor text diversity.
- Use MozBar for Chrome or Firefox.
Make sure you build backlinks to the internal pages of your site. Allow the Moz Juice to flow all over your site.
Tools to measure MozRank and MozTrust
I know that you easily check the domain authority of your site with the help of OpenSiteExplorer.
But, what about other Moz Metrics?
Here are the tools,
- Moonsy – MozTrust
- Moonsy – MozRank
- Metricia Moz SEO Tool: URL Metrics Checker (all in one)
- Free Bulk Moz Checker
Increase in MozRank and MozTrust increases in quantity and quality of the backlinks in order. They also directly boost domain authority.
Moz metrics is measured in logarithmic scale. It’s difficult to score 7-10 than it is from 1-4. Similar to that of Google PageRank.
Moz metrics matter. Because they are fresh and accurate.
If you found this post helpful, do share and comment.