Are you looking for an alternative tool to Mailgun?
Mailgun isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. I know both Capterra and G2 Crowd have given them 4.5/5 and 4.4/5 ratings respectively. But Trust Pilot has rated it at 3.7/5 while Crozdesk has them at 3.2/5.
That’s how I understood that all the happy Mailgun reviews might be partially biased. I did a bit of research and discovered that Mailgun alternatives have a monthly search volume of 720. Meaning, 720 people every month go online to look for Mailgun alternatives.
Sends bulk promotional emails with awesome email deliverability.
Free & paid plan starts at $14.95/month
A user-friendly SMTP for transactional emails.
Free & paid plan starts at $25/month.
Intuitive and affordable multi-channel marketing SMTP service provider.
Free & paid plan starts at $8.85/month.
Fast delivery option for your transactional emails.
Free & paid plan starts at $10/month.
Great transactional email platform that allows real-time team collaboration.
Free & paid plan starts at $9.65/month.
At the beginning of 2020, they stopped their forever free plan and most of the people enrolled had to look for cheaper and more functional alternatives.
Starting from their user interface, it’s frustrating if you’re not tech-savvy or a developer. For this reason, you’d expect them to have a highly responsive support system but you’re stuck with their slow ticket system.
I also discovered that Mailgun has an issue when it comes to email deliverability. Yes, you’re able to send bulk emails but sometimes they go straight into the spam folder instead of the inbox. Upon trying to get to the root of this issue, I found that Mailgun gives you blacklisted IPs.
Honestly, who does that?
To get yourself a Mailgun dedicated IP you’ve got to cough some good moolah. As if that’s not enough, their reports suck. Compared to Sendinblue, they are weak and take a while to load. And when they finally load, you’re not able to see it all at a glance.
I believe these are sturdy enough reasons to go hunting for a Mailgun alternative.
The whole process of looking for an alternative can be overwhelming. We have narrowed it down for you to our 5 top options. They all offer arguably better prices for more functional features.
Let’s dig in.
If you’re in a hurry and you need a quick summary, here are the five tools that we’ll look into in detail.
This is one of the popular SMTP services that hosts giants like Airbnb, Spotify, LinkedIn, and Uber.
Unlike Mailgun that has email deliverability issues, SendGrid’s main selling point is their A1 deliverability. And the million-dollar corporations can vouch for them.
When it comes to data protection and security measures, SendGrid is top-rated with a SOC 2 Type II certification. No need to worry about the safety of your business emails as all data is encrypted.
In all honesty, it’s one of the most powerful solutions for sending automated eCommerce transactional emails at a scale.
Also, they have quite an impressive API integration as it was developed to work with other applications in the market.
- Sending bulk email campaigns with ease and still maintain high deliverability. Thanks to their email spam testing, dedicated IP, and email validation. These integrated email tests will show you invalid emails, spammy content, and broken links.
- It provides automated transactional email support. Transactional emails have payment confirmation details, password updates/resets, delivery notifications, or account confirmation details. Customers expect these emails so they have a high open rate.
- Robust reporting feature. They give you real-time metrics on opens, clicks, delivered emails, bounce rate, unsubscribes, among others. Additionally, you can create custom reports and analyze your customers using detailed audience insights.
- They have a powerful API and integration feature. If you need to integrate other websites or tools with your emails, it does an amazing job. You’ll literally centralize your marketing under one roof.
- The drag-and-drop email editor and built-in templates. You can easily create customized email campaigns using their ready-made templates or HTML. The email editor also helps you A/B test your emails.
- Outstanding email deliverability.
- In-depth reporting feature.
- It comes equipped with email marketing capabilities, unlike Mailgun.
- You get a free plan that allows you to send up to 100/day.
- They don’t have a user-friendly interface. You can’t see everything at a glance so you have to go through several menus.
- The free and essential plans don’t have several key features. For instance you can only send up to 6000 emails a month and it doesn’t allow multiple users.
They have a free plan that allows you to send 40K emails the first month and then 100 emails per day. You also get the API key, email delivery optimization, dynamic email editor, and SMTP webhooks and relay.
Their paid plans are Essentials, Pro, and Premium.
Essentials start at $14.95 for 40K emails a month and go all the way to $29.95 for 100K emails a month.
You only get the dedicated IP and email validation feature with the Pro plan.
Bottomline: It is great for eCommerce users who send bulk transactional emails and they need great deliverability rates
It is one of the easiest to use as a Mailgun alternative. Sendinblue is super user-friendly so no hectic steps to follow. Unlike Mailgun, the interface is well organized, modern, and you can see everything you need at a glance.
Also, they take care of all aspects of your marketing. You can refer to it as the cheaper MailChimp only that it comes with more features.
You’re able to handle your contact management, email automation, bulk SMS, and social media marketing.
- Transactional email management. They allow you to customize your transactional emails based on the customer’s actions on your site. Any eCommerce store would hugely benefit from this.
- Marketing automation feature that allows you to create even elaborate customer workflows. Their automation feature helps you send automated email campaigns and bulk SMSes. You can also use it to organize or update your contact list and setting a double-opt-in option for your subscribers.
- In-built CRM feature. If you need to centralize your contact management, Sendinblue is the way to go. They have an inbuilt CRM that allows you to get basic contact details, add notes, documents, and assign tasks to contacts.
- SMS marketing feature. You get to send personalized bulk SMS messages to your audience. And you can also monitor and track the performance of your SMSes to maximize your conversions.
- Facebook ads feature. This is one of the coolest Sendinblue features. You can create an ad, add a CTA, set the budget, and duration of your ad campaign. You don’t have to go on Facebook to track the performance as Sendinblue gives you all the metrics you need to optimize your campaigns. You also get to create retargeting campaigns.
- It allows you to centralize your marketing efforts under one interface. From your email campaigns to SMS marketing and social media.
- They give you the freedom to either use a shared or dedicated IP.
- Their contact management system coupled with the CRM gives you robust segmentation for highly targeted emails.
- Free and basic plans lack important features. You won’t get A/B testing, advanced stats, automation, multi-user access, and Facebook ads.
They have a free plan that allows you up to 300 emails/day and it comes with SMS campaign features.
Their paid plan (Lite) starts at $25 for 40K emails a month). From there they have the Essential, Premium, and Enterprise plans.
Bottomline: If you’re looking for an easy-to-use all-in-one marketing platform then Sendinblue is a good place to be.
Are you looking for a multi-channel marketing platform? Then SendPulse is more than sufficient. They provide a platform for you to manage all your marketing outreach efforts. Whether it’s through email campaigns, transactional SMS, chatbots, or web push notifications, they got your back.
No wonder they got the attention of large organizations like PWC, Radisson Blu Hotels, and Polish Airlines.
Plus their deliverability is good since they use SPF and DKIM verifications. And they vet every campaign before it goes out. As a result, their emails rarely go into the spam folder, unlike Mailgun.
- Free SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) feature. This provides its users the infrastructure to send bulk emails. With SendPulse you can send 12K emails a month for free.
- Bulk SMS and web push notification feature. If you’re looking for SMS automation, segmentation, and personalization, SendPulse got you. They allow you to send SMS notifications to over 1000 mobile network operators and on any device.
- Campaign analytics feature. You can’t get the best out of your campaigns without tracking and monitoring their performance. With SendPulse you get reports on CTR, open rate, geographic stats, errors, device stats, and many more.
- Ready-made email templates and an intuitive drag-and-drop editor. You get to create stunning yet adaptive email campaigns easily. And you have the option to code if you want.
- They are one of the most affordable solutions for transactional emails. They even have a pay-as-you-go plan that costs you $15 for 10000 emails.
- The UI is pretty straightforward that even beginners can feel right at home.
- You can monitor the marketing campaigns you have on different channels under one platform.
- They offer great deliverability as they have a strict vetting process to eradicate spam content and illegal email practices.
- The user interface is a bit outdated so you may have to do some things manually. For instance, you have to manually set the metrics you want to track for every campaign.
- The campaign vetting process might take a while so it might delay your marketing timelines.
It comes with a freemium option for up to 12000 emails per month.
The paid plans are Basic, Pro, and Enterprise. Basic starts at $7 for 25K emails a month.
Bottomline: SendPulse has numerous marketing features for both large businesses and solopreneurs. If you need a multi-channel platform then it’s your best bet.
This SaaS email provider boasts of having lightning-fast delivery for all application and transactional emails. They provide SMTP services, email API, and transactional email services.
What makes Postmark stand out is the in-built templates for transactional emails. You got templates for password resets, account registration, payment confirmations, thank you, trial period expiration, and many more.
- Transactional email system. Well, this is their main domain so they have done their best to ensure they have competitive deliverability rates.
- Email delivery service. Customers expect to receive transactional emails as soon as they have taken a particular action on your site. Any delay is frustrating to the customers and can cost your business over time.
- Postmark delivers these emails 4x faster than other service providers. High delivery speed is available for all their customers.
- Email API. They provide an email API for you to send notifications to your customers. Whether it’s on their orders, purchase details, password resets, etc. And you have access to Webhooks making it possible to get real-time data on your emails.
- A massive transactional email template. They have a responsive and easily customizable email template for you to send your customers transactional notifications with ease.
- They provide exceptional delivery speed for transactional emails.
- The pricing structure is just right as you can purchase credits according to your needs. You get to spend $1.50 for every 1000 emails you send.
- The set-up is easy and the email API comes with easy-to-read documentation.
- They don’t have key email marketing features like automated follow-ups, email personalization, email scheduling, and A/B testing.
- It doesn’t support SMS like Sendinblue, SendPulse, or SendGrid.
They have a forever-free plan that allows you to send 100 emails per month. Okay, for someone sending high email volumes daily this might not be an option.
But, their paid plans start at $10 for 10K emails a month.
Bottomline: It is best for any size of business that wants to eradicate headaches that come with delivery and parsing of transactional emails sent fast.
It is an email marketing tool that helps you design and send customized emails to your target audience. Despite having all the features available in other email marketing platforms like MailChimp or GetResponse, they don’t have a landing page builder.
However, that hasn’t made them any less popular. Their free SMTP service has made them so popular that over 2 billion emails are sent per month from the Mailjet platform.
And we can’t forget to say that they have an email API called Mailgun. Sounds familiar? If a business doesn’t need the email marketing features then they can use Mailgun for SMTP.
- Free SMTP feature. This helps you send unlimited emails a day. Also, you have the option of encrypting your emails ensuring they are secure as they move from your server to your contacts server.
- In-built customizable templates. They are found in the ‘Passport’ feature on Mailjet. The templates can be used for both transactional emails and newsletters. Plus the comprehensive email editor is easy to use.
- They have a comprehensive email reporting feature. You’re able to see the real-time performance of your email campaigns thanks to their automatic email tracking. From clicks to opens, hard and soft bounces.
- Dedicated IPs. For great delivery rates, they manage their dedicated IPs from 7 countries across 3 continents.
- It allows multi-user access making team collaboration a breeze.
- You can create personalized and customized emails fast thanks to their easy-to-use editor. You even get to do A/B testing.
- They have a great deliverability rate.
- They offer limited automation. And you can’t edit a workflow, if you need to make any changes you have to create another workflow from scratch.
- You have limited contact segmentation capabilities. It limits you to segmentation based on contact information or clicks and opens. You can’t segment your audience using their geographic details, personal interests, or survey questions.
They have a freemium option that allows you to send 200 emails daily.
Then they have Basic (starts at $9.65/month), Premium, and Enterprise. You get a dedicated IP only if you send over 150K emails a month.
Bottomline: It is great for businesses that value real-time collaboration with team members. Mailjet makes it possible to get the contribution of all team members so you get your transactional emails right.
Those are our top Mailgun alternatives.
You can go with any of the above choices that suit your business needs.
Just to recap:
- Choose SendGrid if you want to send huge volumes of transactional emails but still maintain exceptional email deliverability.
- Choose Sendinblue if you need a user-friendly and great email deliverability rate for your bulk emails or SMS.
- Choose SendPulse if you need an affordable multi-channel platform to manage your transactional emails, SMS, web push notifications, and email campaigns.
- Choose Postmark if high-speed delivery of transactional email is the most important thing to you. And you don’t need any other email marketing feature.
- Choose Mailjet if you want real-time collaboration with your team members on your transactional emails.
Let me know what you pick.